We’re back! This bake along is seriously a must attend. We’ll be going over something that normally causes headaches, that everyone usually avoids because of all the hype about how difficult it is, and breaking it down to the pure and simple basics that French grandmeres have been doing for ages. After this bake along, I can probably 100% guarantee that you’ll be making it from scratch from now on. OUI!!! Excited? Because I am!!
WHEN: Sunday July 21st, at 8pm Paris Time
This is… 2pm EST, 1pm CST, 11am PST! Because it’s summer and the sun is up here till 10:30pm!
WHERE: Instagram Live!
LENGTH: Estimate about an hour on live with me and then an hour or so to bake, so 1 hour hands on, 1 hour not!
Set a reminder and gather your ingredients and equipment!
Here are the exact quantities you’ll need:
- 300g (2 1/2 cups) flour (non self-rising, All-purpose, T45 or T55)
- 150g (1 stick + 2.5 tbls) butter (cubed and cold)
- pitcher of cold water
- Another 45g (1/3 cup) flour (same kind as above)
- 1 lemon
- 750g (4-5 cups) of fresh or frozen fruit (not overly ripe– examples include, berries, cherries, apricots, peaches, nectarines, rhubarb, plums, apples…)
- 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- dash of whole milk
- turbinado/raw sugar (optional)
- Spices: salt, ginger (fresh or ground), cinnamon, cardamom, fresh thyme (optional), fresh sage (optional), fresh verbena (optional)
- Optional: edible flowers to decorate with
** Please read the notes. Fruit should not be overly ripe (aka not crazy juicy), and the butter should be cold. If using cherries, they will need to be pitted.
- a pie or 8” cake pan
- scale (if doing metric, which I highly recommend!)
- 2 large bowls
- pastry brush (optional)
- zester (optional)
- a friend to help (optional 😀 but fun!)
- rolling pin
- paring knife and butter knife
- cutting board
We will be preheating the oven to 200C/400F about halfway through the bake along.
Guesses as to what we’ll be making or questions? Let me know in the comments!
Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday!