Translated as “salty cake” in French, this recipe is a savory bread stuffed with delicious things! It’s perfect for a summer Aperitif or really any occasion. In France, you’ll see it served at picnics and other gatherings as it’s easy to transport and a huge people pleaser.
A salty cake perfect for any occasion, whether a birthday party, cocktail hour, or lovely Summer picnic.
For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cup (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) whole milk
- 3/4 cup (100 g) shredded cheese (emmental, monterey jack)
- 1 cup (200 g) cooked bacon or chopped ham
- ½ cup (90 g) roughly chopped pit-less green or black olives
- ½ cup (70 g) roughly chopped pistachio/walnuts/hazelnuts
- ¼ cup (10 g) fresh roughly chopped fresh basil – or – 1 tbsp (2g) of fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup (75 g) feta cubes
- ½ cup (30 g) roughly chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pesto
- ½ tsp dried oregano
Smoked salmon, different kinds of vegetables (mushrooms/zucchini..) in small cubs and sautéed before adding, chorizo, boudin…, fresh or dried spices like herbes de provence
Prepare a loaf tin by lining it with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 375F/190C.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Make a well in the center and add in the eggs, olive oil, and milk. Stir to combine.
Add the salt and freshly ground pepper. Then stir in the shredded cheese.
Now it’s time to mix in the add-ins you chose! Stir to combine and then pour into the prepared loaf tin.
Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve room temperature or slightly warm.