Chocolate Coffee Financier
If you are a Great British Bake Off (otherwise known as Great British Baking Show for all my American friends, or GBBO for the truest among us) fan like myself, you may find yourself distractingly dreaming about the mouthwatering recipes that are revealed week by week and feel inspired to get in the kitchen yourself after watching. This week, during season 14’s semifinal episode celebrating all things Patisserie, (unsurprisingly one of my favorite weeks 😁) that certainly happened to me.
The signature bake for the episode was to make a set of financiers, one of my favorite French desserts and one that had been far too long since I revisited.
What is a Financier?
A financier is a small French almond cake, usually baked in a compact rectangle-shaped mold (akin to a gold bar, which is partially the inspiration behind its name!) that gets its signature rich flavor from the use of adding browned butter in the batter.
Financiers are made with few ingredients and endlessly adaptable, making them a particularly exciting signature challenge for The Great British Bake Off! After watching, I was so full of inspiration that I went straight to my kitchen, whipped out the chocolate and espresso powder, and got to work.
The result is this absolutely delicious recipe which I already can’t get enough of. The subtle coffee flavor from the espresso powder pairs with the delicate nuttiness we know and love all financiers for, and then is heightened with a rich chocolate ganache to top (plus added gold leaf if you’re feeling fancy!)
Chocolate Coffee Financiers
Rich chocolate ganache marries with the buttery richness of this espresso-infused cake, inspired by the latest season of GBBO!
30 - 35 min
IngredientsFor the Cakes:
- 100 g (7 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 120 g (2/3 cup) granulated/caster sugar
- 40 g (1/3 cup) all-purpose (regular) flour
- 60 g (1/2 cup) almond flour or meal
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 60ml (1/4 cup) heavy cream**
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 100g (1/2 cup) bittersweet chocolate*
- Preheat your oven to 425F/220C. Brown your butter in a small saucepan and set it aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the remaining ingredients (yes it’s as simple as that!), then pour in the brown butter and slowly whisk it in.
- Put your financiers in the oven and immediately lower the temp to 350F/170C
- Bake for 16-18 min. Look for golden brown, pulling away from the side and springing back.
- Make your ganache. Start by chopping the chocolate and placing it in a large bowl.
- Heat up the cream in a small saucepan or in the microwave until it starts to simmer. Immediately pour over the chocolate.
- Shimmy the bowl to cover the chocolate completely with cream. Wait about 30 seconds for the chocolate to start melting and the whisk to bring it together.