French Onion Soup and Pear Cake
Let’s gather together to make a cozy, cheesy, and classic French Onion Soup, and then enjoy a fresh French Pear Cake for dessert!
Have you always loved French Onion Soup but been intimated to try making it on your own? Join Molly while she breaks down her recipe in an easy step-by-step process featuring lots of moments for bread and cheese snacking in between cook time.
The best part? You’ll finish the hour and a half class with a warm soup enough for 4 individuals AND a freshly baked pear cake for later!
What you will learn:
- Methods and techniques to caramelize onions
- How to create perfect cheesy toasts
- Step by step instructions for making French Onion Soup
- The process for making a French Pear Cake
- Recipe for French Onion Soup
- Recipe for French Pear Cake
- Make ahead and storage tips
- Access to the Live virtual class, a recording of the class for 30 days, and an exclusive Facebook community group of bakers from around the world
Special Equipment Needed:
a scale- optional but highly recommended, large saucepan, parchment or slipat lined baking sheet, mixing bowls, 9-inch cake pan, stand or hand mixer, whisk, oven-safe soup bowls (optional)
unsalted butter, olive oil, 6 medium-large yellow onions, fresh thyme, bay leaves, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, salt & pepper, dry white wine, chicken or beef broth, 1 baguette or other rustic-country style bread, 1 cup shredded gruyere, comte, or parmesan cheese, brown sugar (light or dark), 2 large eggs, vanilla extract, rum (optional), baking powder, 2 cups cubed pears (from about 2-3 pears, Bosc or Anjou) or apples.
All ingredients should be measured out and ready in advance of class.