Woowee I’m so excited for the Fourth! Yesterday we had Theme Thursday at work and the theme was Americana. ok Seriously, when can you come to work and see the COO in a cheesy Fourth of July shirt? Think white polo with a realistic flag blowing across the chest with the full Declaration of Independence in cursive as an overlay. awesome. And I might have played John Philip Sousa Marches for a solid hour. 😀
In honor of our theme I made Fourth of July themed cookies!
Lemon sandwich cookies with red sprinkles around the edges and on top with Lemon icing as a filling and blueberries around the edges.
These were inspired by a macaron I saw by Pierre Herme that had raspberries around the edges. So cute!
I found the recipe on the cutest blog called Baking for the Boys. I’d definitely recommend it. The blueberries I used were leftover from our fun trip picking blueberries in TX. Be sure to read the recipe tips below the recipe! Enjoy and Happy Fourth of July!
Lemon Sandwich Cookies
Bon Appetit January 2009
Recipe tips: This recipe was super easy but whenever you’re doing sandwich cookies be sure to allow extra time than you normally would. There’s just more steps which requires a little more time!
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups (packed) powdered sugar
- Using back of spoon, mash lemon peel and salt to paste in medium bowl.
- Add butter and lemon juice. Using electric mixer, beat until fluffy.
- Add sugar in 4 batches, beating after each addition until blended.
The filling can be made one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate the filling; bring it to room temperature before using.
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolk
- Boil lemon juice and lemon peel in small saucepan until mixture is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 4 minutes. Pour into small bowl and cool. Sift flour, salt, and baking soda into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add sugar; beat until blended. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in yolks. Beat in lemon juice mixture. Add dry ingredients and stir to blend well. Cover dough and chill until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out 1/3 of dough on lightly floured surface to scant 3/8-inch thickness. Using 2-inch round cutter, cut out cookies. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until golden at edges, about 12 minutes. Let cookies cool 5 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Gather 2 teaspoons filling and roll into a ball. Place in the center of the flat side of 1 cookie. Top with another cookie, flat side down. And gently squeeze cookies together. Repeat to make more sandwich cookies.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight in refrigerator.