Happy Easter! I hope you got better weather than we did. It was grey and threatening storms most of the day but we still had a beautiful Easter feast.
Whip cold heavy whipping cream until it looks yummy and add a couple tablespoons of sugar to taste. I also added some cinnamon. yum yum good!
For the strawberries:
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 6 cups) fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the shortcakes:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- egg wash (one egg lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar or sanding sugar (use regular granulated if not on hand)
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make the sweetened strawberries: Hull and quarter strawberries; toss in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice and zest. Let stand until syrupy, tossing occasionally, at least 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine flour, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; process until butter is the size of peas. Add milk; pulse just until moistened, 4 or 5 times. Do not overmix.
- Or by hand, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk. Then cut in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; with floured hands, gently pat dough until 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Cut 2 inch circles. Transfer to a baking sheet; brush with egg wash and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. You’ll know when they’re done if the bottom is evenly browned. Cool on baking sheet.