Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe
When I first moved to Paris I quickly found out that the only easily accessible flour tortillas were sold at the grocery store with an expiration so far in the future, it was totally unnecessary. So what’s a Texan to do that could eat tacos at every meal? Learn to make her own homemade flour tortillas!!
Now this recipe, while easy does add a tiny bit of prep time to your taco festivities. Allow about an extra hour just in case because oh buddy, it is SO WORTH IT!!!!!!!
Homemade Flour Tortillas
This recipe makes enough for 10 small-er tortillas. Increase the recipe as needed!
- 1 1/2 cups (190 g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp (28 g) unsalted butter, cubed
- water to bind
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together. Work in the butter well until it disappears into the dry ingredients like sand.
- Slowly add water, bit by bit, tossing it with the dry ingredients and scrunching until it forms a dough. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Divide into golf ball sized (1-inch) balls and roll out on a floured surface until very thin. Cook on a skillet lightly greased with a neutral oil. Flip when you start to see bubbles forming. The first one will be a little test to figure out the heat and such.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
I’D LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU MADE
Tag me on instagram @mollyjwilk